Friday

genius

“A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the luster of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his.

“In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts; they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty. Great works of art have no more affecting lesson for us than this. They teach us to abide by our spontaneous impression with good-humored inflexibility than most when the whole cry of voices is on the other side. Else tomorrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another.”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson “Self-Reliance,” 1844

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Little Mama! Again I came to lurk your blog, and I again came away enchanted.

I hope you know that you live in a fairy world, and every time I peep in the window I walk away dreamy. I especially think your children are adorable! I believe our sons would be best friends, if given the chance. The middle one is three years old, correct? Mine as well - they both have an affinity for mud, mischeif, and cuddles. ;o) I also have a 10 month old - about the age of your youngest, yes?

Katie Richins said...

You're right, my middle one is 3, and the youngest is almost 9 months. If your 3 year old has that rare mix of interests, than they would surely be friends!!

Thanks for the visits!